Monday, May 16, 2022

POEMS OF PLACE with Rockhill Elementary

REVISION

Today, we are going to revise the drafts of our place poems. 

1. Your poem needs a title, followed by the name of the poet, you!
2. Your poem should have at least one of these "poetic devices," that is, things that make your poem unique, poemy, more interesting:

*Description 
How something looks, sounds, tastes, smells or feels

*An interesting word
Words you have learned this year, like what "Alliance" means or other vocabulary word

*Interesting sounds
Like onomatopoeia or alliteration 
Ex. Niagara Falls goes AROARAROARA SPLASH CRASH SPLAT!
Ex: The GPS says All-ee-Ahn-sa, All-ee-Ahn-sa, meaning Alliance
Ex: My mama mostly loves Myrtle Beach-- the mostest.

3. Your poem should have a clear arrangement on the page. 
Poems can have shorter and longer lines that prose. And they can be different shapes down the page. For example, if you wrote about Myrtle Beach, you could shape it like a beach.

Here is a poem by a third grader on the topic of his name. He arranged it in lines and stanzas. One stanza long, one stanza short.

ALL ABOUT ME

       An acrostic by James

 

James is a very good man at adding but is not a person     who likes to talk:

Adding is the first thing I learned to do. I thought it was     gonna be hard at first.

Multiplication is now easy. I learned to do multiplication    when I was 5 years old.

Every day I go to school. School is cool. Always I might be late, but I will always be there.

Sunday is my day, very awesome Sunday, always Sunday

       would always be my day.

 

Peace and kindness is what I try to give, nice kind little       James.

East, west, north south—where I go? You tell me!

Poem & art by James in Mrs. Gardner’s third grade class at Franklin Elementary in Massillon, Ohio.  This broadside printed in Ebrima type in March 2019 with support of Stark Arts.


Then, he tried writing it another way, turning his paper sideways:

Here is another poem, in a very different shape:

ODE TO PANDAS

by Anderson

 

Pandas are

very cool

and they

like to

eat bamboo

and they

like to

climb trees

and they

live in

the mountain.

Pandas are

soft as

a marshmallow.

I love

Pandas.

 

Poem and art by Anderson in Mrs. Gardner’s third grade class at Franklin Elementary in Massillon, Ohio.  This broadside printed in Times New Roman in March 2019 with support of Stark Arts.


No comments:

Post a Comment