Sunday, March 22, 2020

WRITING ODES

The materials below are supplementary to the video produced by the writer Diane Kendig at the Arts in Stark Facebook page to delight and instruct during the COVID19 slowdown. 

As a thank you for your attendance today, I am attaching a broadsides of two of my odes for you to download. You can right click on it to save and print out on your printer:
Week three, I will be showing you the tradition of broadsides and how you can make your own


Notes on and examples of the ode
For children:

Houston Writers in the Schools


For older students (high school, college, Moms & Dads)

"Ode" at the Academy of American Poetry 



For everyone

Quincy Troupe's poem, "A Poem for Magic" (on Magic Johnson)



Pablo Neruda odes
"The Watermelon" (in Spanish, "Oda a la Sandia")

"Ode to My Socks"


Example odes by children

By Ohio kids:

ODE TO A DEER I HAVE NOT SEEN

O, I’m wishing, hoping
waiting to see
the light, soft deer

I’m wanting, needing
waiting to spot
the sweet cute face.

I’m thinking, imaginating
waiting to see
the furry doe
as cute as a teddy bear

O, I’m wishing, hoping
waiting to spot
the deer in the forest.
                -- Fifth Grader


ODE TO PANDAS

Pandas, you are 
very cool
and you
like to
eat bamboo
and
like to
climb trees
and live in
the mountain.
You are
soft as 
a marshmallow.
I love 
Pandas.
            --Third Grader


ODE TO POINTE SHOES

You are pretty and pink as a tourmaline
The ribbons you have, so smooth and silky

The way you make my feet look pretty when I go up on pointe
You are inexplicable-- how great and wonderful you are

Your look of delicacy makes me grateful, but you are strong
Thought you rip and tear when I wear you a lot

You glittered and glistened when I first got you
When I am on stage you help me dance like a prima ballerina.
                                                                               --Fifth Grader

ODE TO THE BELL

Oh bell, hurry up
Go ring, ring ring
I like your sound
And you look like a party hat
You feel like a steel plate
Oh, bell, hurry up
                         --Third Grader



------
TWO FINAL NOTES:

1) I usually like to write in silence, but if you like music, considered listening to this inspiring version of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy," yet another kind of ode. This version is exciting because it comes to us from Europe, which is living through the virus also. The musicians could not get together to perform as usual, so they each play their part from home and technicians put it all together. You can see them as they play from home, making inspiring music together:
https://slippedisc.com/2020/03/believe-it-orchestra-plays-beethoven-9th-from-their-homes/

2) If you write an ode you are especially proud of and want to share, send it to me at dianekendig(at)gmail(dot)com [use @ for "at" and . for "dot). I will post and/or respond to as many odes as possible, so keep watching here for yours!








No comments:

Post a Comment